Tips from Nick Boshier - Creator of Beached az bro! & Bondi Hipsters - Youtube videos
Last thursday I had the pleasure to assist to Engine Room's (Co-working space) Digital Freelancers session - @ Chippendale, Sydney. Australia.
Nicholas Boshier - Creator of Beached az bro! (Beached Whale), Trent from Punchy & Bondi Hipsters - Viral and popular Youtube videos was one of the keynote speakers and here I would like to share his tips for digital content creation.
|Nicholas Boshier @ Engine Room Presentation|
- Create simple stuff - do not complicate it.
- You never know what's gonna hit but some key elements normally work: needs to be easy to watch, short version, colorful colours, able to watch on your iphone.
- Needs to be sharable (make something that people want to share - advocacy). Give it away - Free.
- Youtube is hungry for cool and unique content and they are very supportive with new content creation ideas.
- Youtube can also help your content to be partner with specific brands.
- Do not wait for perfection. Create and launch quick, if something bites then you build around it.
- Visit, watch and use all the tips given on Youtube's Playbook website for content creators.
- You need to have a constant desire to push stuff out.
- Be willing to suck up, to be bad and learn from mistakes. Next time you will do it better.
Beached Whale - Beach az bro video (7 million views - not bad bro!)
- Idea got created with $16 dollars and coffee. Very simple creation.
- Whether you are a creator or not, you have access to a massive audience via Youtube.
- Cafe Press allowed them to sell Promotional staff including a Beached az bro g-string!
- Supre approached them and they wanted to do a Beached az t-shirt and as soon as they started selling t-shirt via Supre the Beach az concept worked and sold thousands of t-shirts.
- Then, ABC (Australian tv channel) came in and wanted to expand the concept with some TV series (episodes).
Trent from Punchy (over a hundred thousand Facebook fans)
- Got offered a featured film that possibly will be done 2014.
- Raised part of the money as a Crowdfunded.
- Trent from Punchy was just an experiment that become so popular.
Bondi Hipsters Youtube episodes & The life organic video
- Bondi Hipsters idea coming from Christian who was sick during some months.
- One episode a week for a year.
- Turn down any sponsorship. They just wanted to build the audience.
- Sold episodes to ABC.
- TV channels are so hungry for content.
- Merchandise line coming up
- Bondi Hipsters tour coming up at festivals.